Monday, March 23, 2009

WA6 First Draft

My name is Llechtim. Don’t ask, my parents are Russian. Anyways, I came to the states three years ago to live the American Dream. 1095 days later and I’m struggling to meet month’s end everytime. My first year here I spent most of my time in a community college trying to get a degree in Fine Arts. That was going fine, until I realized my semester grade was a 27. Shortly then after, I was dropped from the college. Yes, I was dropped from a community college, and most people I tell that to didn’t even know that could happen. By this time, I was really starting to doubt of any dream coming to fruition.

I managed to find a cheap apartment a few weeks after my release and I had to start searching for a job. However, I still couldn’t speak English too well, and no one really seemed to trust me. I decided to pick up urban art, otherwise known as graffiti. This was probably the cheapest and easiest way I was able to develop my artistic abilities. I wouldn’t necessarily say that I’m skilled, but I’ve received some accolades…along with some civil court appearances due to obstruction of public property.

One day though, I felt like my luck had changed. I saw the most beautiful thing beside one of my better pieces. Not a thing, like someone else’s work, rather another human. This came to quite a shock, because I had never seen someone at this particular site before. More interesting however, was how they carried themselves. She proudly stood tall, dressed in the most elaborate clothing money could buy. I wouldn’t be surprised if what she was wearing doubled my life earnings. Now, I’m not trying to place titles amongst people, but it’s quite a rare sight to see such a person admiring my work. Cautiously, I approached. In return, she turned around, startled by my appearance. And then, with a comforting tone asked if the work belonged to me. I wasn’t sure how to respond, fearing she may have been part of some ‘Clean-up the City’ foundation, and I just stood there, dumbfounded. She then gave me a second looked, sized me up, placed a card in my front pocket and said “Call me.”

1 comment:

Ms. Wiesner said...

1095, spell it out if you're going to start the sentence with it.

Struggling to meet month's end?

27 should be 2.7?

Shortly then after,..take out then

Good: "but I’ve received some accolades…along with some civil court appearances due to obstruction of public property."

SS: "Now, I’m not trying to place titles amongst people, but..."

Interesting ending